Thursday, September 22, 2011

Replies to the post - Friday, Sept 16, 2011 - in a discussion group:

Hello Selvaraj,
Nice effort. But I wonder about your use of the word "use":


"4. Recognize the concept of USE; which means we must persist in adopting what we consider to be proper posture."

If you by this are refering to the Alexander Technique concept of USE I'm afraid you have got it wrong.
'Posture' is only an effect of USE.

In "A Time to Remember" by Walter Carrington, FM Alexander is asked:
"Is 'use' synonymous with 'reaction'? FM said that it was." (page 3).

Regards,
Halvard

--------------------------------

Hi Halvard,

I made a mistake here, I should have written:

4. Recognise the concept of USE AFFECTS FUNCTIONING; which means we must persist in adopting what we consider to be proper posture.


Thanks for giving me the opportunity to correct myself : - )

Regards,
Selvaraj

------------------------------

Intriguing stuff. What are your thoughts on how this relates to Alexander's writings?

ATB,

Steve

-------------------------------

Hi Steve,

I got introduced to The Alexander Technique - more correctly THE ALEXANDER PRINCIPLE - through Dr. Barlow's book. I have not read any of Alexander's writings; I think it is time I corrected this omission on my part.

If you are asking me what I think of The Alexander Technique in general, based on the posts in this group, and how the movement has progressed over the last hundred years, my reply would be to repeat what Marjory Barlow states in her interview:

"FM used to say we are only on the fringe of this thing - only on the fringe - we have got so much more to learn and it will develop in all sorts of directions and will be applied to all sorts of different things".

If you are asking me what I think of the potential of the Alexander Technique, I think the sky is the limit. When I ask myself the question, could I have obtained the perspective I obtained from reading Dr. Barlow's book, from reading some other book, the answer is a simple "No".

But I am not sure that humanity is in a position to capitalise on all this. Our media, our sciences and our governments have built up over the years a sense of entitlement. We expect someone else other than ourselves to solve our problems for us, and it is difficult for us to take a path that could be rewarding yet difficult.

I see the problems related to 'posture' as being more difficult to solve than the problems related to the destruction of our environment, overpopulation and resource depletion. As I have tried to explain, we have inherited this problem from a long, long time back. 'Faulty Posture' is deeply embedded in our culture, our arts and our sciences.

Regards,
Selvaraj

---------------------------

On 9/16/2011 7:18 PM, sraj wrote:

I see the problems related to 'posture' as being more difficult to solve than the problems related to the destruction of our environment, overpopulation and resource depletion.

Something like Alexander Technique might be the *prelude* to solving the rest of the troubles.

Mike

---------------------

If we could find ways to encourage people to let go of their holding patterns in their bodies, the same would happen in their minds and then the sky is the limit!
Kit

-------------------

Hi Kit,

On 17 September 2011 17:19, Kit Racette <kit@directionjournal.com> wrote:

> If we could find ways to encourage people to let go
> of their holding
> patterns in their bodies, the same would happen in
> their minds...

And vice versa and both at once too. I think this problem has been
studied for a long time and lots of technqiues developed. Getting
people to realise how good they would be for them seems to be the
biggest problem.

Keith.

---------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment